Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Writing my personal statement

I made the formal decision to pursue a career as a doctor last summer. It was a decision ten years in the making and I think I've reached a point where I can say that becoming a doctor will help me fulfill some of my lifelong dreams. The problem is, it's so friggin hard to put together a personal statement that would reflect the thought processes involved in making this decision, so I started this blog to just ramble on about my preparation with the hopes that I'll hit on something. Right.

Anyhow, here it goes. So far, I have several possible themes for my personal statement:

1. Reflecting on my parent's sacrifices in coming to America and how that made me want to pursue a challenging and worthy career.

Thoughts:
- from an early age I developed an early sense of self and determination because I had to help my parents acclimate to America. I had to teach myself things, contribute to the family's domestic responsibilities, and take care of my younger siblings
- I was always taught the value of hard work and my life was filled with high marks and extracurricular that kept me busy
- I maintained merit scholarships during college because my parents could not afford my tuition

Arguments:
- this illustrates my ability to take on demanding roles but doesnt explain why medicine appeals to me besides the fact that my parents are asians (dammit. the funny thing is I resisted the medical career because thats all my parents want me to go into but I realize that i was NOT going into it for the wrong reasons..)

2. Stating all the reasons why I want to go into medicine and what has caused me to hesistate

This was the second draft of my personal statement and I just realizes that it makes me look very noncommital, despite being realistic. It doesnt seem I've fully addressed all the questions I raised.

3. First draft stated all the reasons I did not want to go into medicine and how those were resolveed by my life experiences.

This was the first draft and I hated it too. It sounded like a poorly written scientific manuscript.

4. This is my latest theme: Discussing how at a young age I was presumed to be an artist who sucked in school. However, I proved everyone wrong by placing at the top of my class, and winning science and history fairs. Later on in life, I'm faced with negative stereotypes about doctors and they threw me off the field. However, I learned that this was ultimately what I wanted to do with my life and rather than complain about the system, I was going to work around it and change the face of medicine. This might sound too ambitious and even insult some on the reviewing committee. It's best to tread lightly on this topic, but I think I can make a convincing argument about comparing art to medicine and how these two make enhance my life.

5. State all the reasons why I loved medicine, what held me back and how the past experiences have helped me resolve these concerns.

No comments:

Post a Comment