Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Reason #1: The Most-Used Cliche

I know we all ultimately want to become doctors because we LOVE SCIENCE and WANT TO HELP PEOPLE, so how can I turn this statement around and not make it sound so shallow?

Here's why science fit into my life:

Medicine is based on many sciences of the human body, which fascinates me. I have lost a lot of faith in my religion due to negative experiences during my childhood, but learning about the complexity and beauty of our organ systems, ie the human nervous system, rekindles the spirituality in me. For a long time, I was interested in studying relationships between human behavior in sociological systems, but I learned later on that many of these situations are rooted in physiological processes.

Doctors must possess the ability to synthesize many different science topics and incorporate it into their treatment plan. They also have to maintain a pragmatic approach towards treating for the patient, whether it be knowing how to respond to a violent patient in the ER, or catering a prescription for an elderly patient who has 40 meds to take per day.

How being a doctor fulfills the ultimate desire to help others:

I think being a doctor gives me flexibility in terms of what I wish to accomplish in my career goals and that is
1. help the underserved (in poor communities or during disaster reliefs)
2. healthcare is universal

There are many careers that I have entertained: clinical psychologist, cognitive psychologist, nurse?, physician assistant

clinical psychologist:
impact level is not as high, degree of "help" is limited to wealthy and english speaking population although degree of patient-clinician contact is enticing

cognitive psychologist:
research is competitive and insecure; monotonous

nurse:
shifts not compelling, very little authority but major responsibility

physician assistant:
very little authority on patient's treatment plan

No comments:

Post a Comment